Tuesday, April 28, 2015

First day of training, for my first triathlon...I had an argument with myself

So, I've never been one who likes cardio...as stated in my previous posts.  I think it's silly.  Well, as I've mentioned before, I am doing my first Triathlon, on July 11th.
I was suppose to start training on April 18th; however, with life and sickness getting in the way, I didn't actually have my first training day, until this morning.  And I was DREADING it...because it was 30 minutes of running at a pace that is moderately challenging.
As I'm doing my 10 minute warm-up I'm thinking to myself "You know, this is TECHNICALLY the 'moderately challenging' pace that my workout says, so I'll just count this toward my 30 minutes!" BOOM! ha ha ha I was being clever.
I'm running along on the treadmill, at 4.3mph 2% incline (which, for those of you that don't know, 2% incline is equivalent to running on the sidewalk...it has to do with gravity and whatnot) As 28 minutes rolls around I had another thought "Why would you cheat yourself out of training? The 10 minute warm-up does NOT count toward the 30 minutes!"  UGH! FINE! So, I went for 40 minutes of running, and then did a 5 minute cool down (my favorite part of cardio!)
And can I tell you, it felt pretty darn awesome! That is the longest I have ever run...because I, MYSELF, wanted to!
I've always said, "I'm not a runner." or "I'm not built for running." (Even though a few Drs have told me that my body is built for sports).
I have a new goal for myself, now.  And that goal, is to prove my old self wrong! I WILL become a runner! I WILL get my lungs in shape! I WILL learn to enjoy what my body is capable of doing!

And if anybody of you have thought about doing a Triathlon, but don't know where to start.  Check out the App "1st Time Tri".  You put in your skill level, how many days a week you can commit to working out, the date of your race....and BOOM....your 12 weeks of workouts are laid out for you!

Stay tuned for this growing relationship I'll be having with cardio!

No comments:

Post a Comment