Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Here's how I meal prep...

When it comes to living a healthy lifestyle, so many people say the don't have time to cook at every meal.  And let's be honest, who does, every single day?  I've learned some easy tricks to keep the guess work out of that.
On Saturday or Sunday, I plan my meals for the week; I eat 5 times a day, 7 days a week, so that makes 35 meals I prep on Sunday.  That may seem like a lot, but I keep it as simple as possible with these 2 steps:
1) I literally eat, the same thing, every day, at every meal...for that week.
2) I measure and prep everything out.

I bought some square (they fit nicer in the fridge) tupperware contains of various sizes. And all these meals, fit on 1 shelf in the fridge; and each meal gets its own row.
My breakfast and after gym snack RARELY change.  I like the simplicity of them!

Breakfast: Smoothie
8oz almond milk (I don't put liquids in the container)
1 good handful of greens (I prefer spinach, because it blends better.  If you prefer kale, freeze it first, it blends better that way)
1/2c baked sweet potato (seriously! It adds a sweetness and creaminess to the smoothie!)
1s protein powder (this is something else I don't add to the container)

After gym snack:
10-12oz water
2 good handfuls of greens
1/2 c baked sweet potato
1scoop protein powder
1scoop BCAA

Lunch:
2c steamed or raw veggies
4-6oz of protein
1/4-1/2c brown rice or sweet potato (theres are my favorite carbs.)
1-2oz or tablespoon of fat

Snack:
1/2c of berries
2-3 rice cakes
2T almond butter

Dinner:
4-6oz of protein
Cooked leafy greens
1-2oz or tablespoon of fat
(I don't eat carbs at night)

And there you have it.  This is my simple, go to meal plan.  And all the stuff is relatively inexpensive.  The reason for the variations in serving sizes, is that different foods carry different caloric value.  And since I like to eat a lot, I tend to choose foods with a lower caloric value :)

I often get asked, how much should I eat.  Well, that's a tough one to answer since every BODY is different, and every goal is different.  MyFitnessPal is a great tool to use on your smart phone or computer.  However, they're "suggest" carb, fat and protein goals (I think) are crazy.  They say 50% carbs. That's super high! Carbs are great, they give us energy.  But 50% is high!

My split goes like this:
45% Protein
35% Carbs
20% Fat

I know how my body responds to these macros, so that's what works for me.  But tool around with them.  Keep the same macros and calorie intake for a few weeks. If its working, keep it, if not change it a bit.

Here's a good page on calculating your calorie intake.  Now, like I said, everybody is different.  So if you're consuming the suggested calorie intake, and you feel tired...you're body isn't getting enough fuel, so increase your intake.  (And it doesn't need to be by much 50- 100calories of healthy foods, is a lot of food!)

Calorie Calculator:
http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Once again, thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment